Welcome Earthlings and Others

Welcome to my blog. The text on this blog is original so please don't borrow it without asking me or adding an acknowledgement as to the source. Please, please, please, click the share buttons on anything as often as you like. Please, please, please leave a comment or become a follower. If you can think of an alternative caption leave it as a comment and, if I like it enough, I'll post it with a backlink to your blog. Enjoy.


Sunday 28 August 2011

Staying Calm Amid Chaos by Greg Scott


09 July 2011 at 13:49

   Often people come into my shop and comment on how calm it is in my shop. Sometimes they even go as far as suggesting the some kind of magical calming "energy" here. I believe they're wrong. The correct thing to say would be "I feel calm in here". I believe I press their calm buttons with the environment I've created.
Why let a place dictate your mood?
    I once saw a documentary on Tiger Woods and how his Dad trained him to win. When Tiger needed to concentrate his father threw as much distraction as possible at him until he was desensitized to distraction and calm under pressure. This is the way to meditate. You want to feel calm under pressure not only when you enter a quiet room. Remember Hebb's Law "neurons that fire together wire together"? You want to wire your neurons for calming down with the experience of external chaos and thus build your chaos tolerance. Of course, if you have young children, this will happen anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...